Recommendation for vaccination
The Federal Commission for Vaccination (FCV) and the Federal Office of Public Health (FOPH) recommend vaccination for the following risk groups:
|1||As preventive vaccination for men who have sex with men and for trans-people with changing sexual partners.||Preventive|
|2||As preventive vaccination for people who are exposed to the moneypox virus for occupational reasons (healthcare personnel in the caring of confirmed/suspected monkeypox cases and personnel at specialist laboratories handling monkeypox material).||Preventive|
|3*||For close contacts of people ill with the monkeypox virus.||Exposed|
No recommendation for vaccination has currently been issued for the broader population.
Vaccination is not recommended for youths under 18 years of age or for pregnant people because not enough clinical safety data is available at this time. In certain cases (such as compromised immune systems), these people may consider the risk and benefit of vaccination in consultation with their doctor.
Anmeldung für die Affenpocken-Impfung
For reasons of discretion, we cannot and do not want to prioritize the vaccine by risk group. However, we would like to appeal to all those interested in vaccination to realistically assess their own risk of infection and to wait in solidarity for the second, larger vaccine delivery if they do not belong to the high-risk group. Those most at risk of infection should have access to vaccination as soon as possible. In order to be able to guarantee this, we need your help.
Registration is possible for all Groups (see above) using the following registration tool.
We recommend that you first read through the patient information.
The vaccine for Groups 1 and 2 is administered at Corona Impfzentrum Basel-Stadt, Congress Center Basel, Messeplatz 21, 4058 Basel. Vaccination for Group 3 are available on weekdays at the University Hospital Basel (USB) and at the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (STPH).
Access to vaccinations is provided to people resident in the cantons of Basel-Stadt and Basel-Landschaft, and in special cases also people resident in other cantons. Moreover, the vaccine is also available for cross-border commuters and Swiss citizens resident abroad.
For further questions, please contact the telephone hotline of the Medical Services: Tel. 0800 463 666 (Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
* Regarding Group 3: “Close contacts”
Close contact with one of the following forms of exposure within the last 14 days:
• Direct, close body contact such as sexual activities.
• A person exposed to a confirmed case of monkeypox for an extended period at a distance < 1 meter without protective/hygiene measures.
• A person who had direct contact with contaminated materials such as the clothing or bedlinen of an infectious person.
• Household members (permanent or temporary) of a person with a confirmed monkeypox infection.
• Healthcare personnel who wore no suitable protective equipment (according to Swissnoso recommendations) during direct and close contact with a person with a confirmed monkeypox infection or with contaminated material.
Vaccination is intended to prevent contracting the disease, reduce the severity of the disease and lower the probability of further transmission.